Apple Podcasts have been the talk of the town since the plans of their anticipated in-app subscription were made public. Now, the tech giant has finally revealed the official release date of the service and it is not too far. Apple has confirmed that their new, and much in the news, Apple Podcasts Subscriptions platform will be available next week on Tuesday, June 15.
The news comes after Apple sent an email to podcasters today in which it stated that both the subscription and channels in the Apple Podcasts app will be available on June 15th. “We’re pleased to share that Apple Podcasts Subscriptions and channels will launch worldwide on Tuesday, June 15,” Apple says in the email.
The email also includes links to resources where podcasters can learn about quality standards for subscriptions and content guidelines. Apple has also given podcasters some advice on how to improve their subscriptions and channels.
Apple Podcasts Subscription History
During its “Spring Forward” conference in April, Apple originally revealed that podcasters will be able to offer paid subscriptions for their work. Nonetheless, they postponed the launch to ensure that producers and listeners have the best experience possible. Apple promised fixes to the Apple Podcasts app itself following multiple difficulties that surfaced with the April release of iOS 14.5.
Apple’s offer to producers was that they could charge whatever they wanted in exchange for benefits like ad-free listening and special episodes. Of course, the firm would still take its standard 30% cut in the first year of a subscription, followed by a 15% commission in subsequent years.
Apple Podcasts Subscription Features
- Apple Podcasts Subscriptions will be available to listeners in over 170 countries and regions in May. Specific software requirements for Apple Podcasts Subscriptions and channels will be shared ahead of availability.
- Pricing for each subscription is set by creators and billed monthly by default. Creators can additionally offer annual billing, which subscribers can manage from their Apple ID account settings, now accessible from Listen Now. Listeners will also be able to access free trials and sample episodes offered by creators.
- Through Family Sharing, up to six family members can share a subscription.
- Listeners will be able to access the enhanced Search tab with Top Charts and categories, new show and episode pages with the Smart Play button, and Saved Episodes on iOS 14.5, iPadOS 14.5, and macOS 11.3. Saved Episodes are also available on watchOS 7.4 and tvOS 14.5. These software updates will be available next week.
- The Apple Podcasters Program, which includes all of the tools needed to offer premium subscriptions on Apple Podcasts, is available to creators in over 170 countries and regions for $19.99 (US) per year. Creators can enrol in the Apple Podcasters Program today through Apple Podcasts Connect.
- Apple Podcasts features more than 2 million free shows and is available for free on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, Apple Watch, Apple TV, HomePod mini, CarPlay, iTunes on Windows, and other smart speakers and car systems.
Apple’s big idea is that putting a subscribe button in the podcast app could draw more premium listeners to various services, like Luminary and Wondery Plus. Starting this month, we’ll finally see how powerful a subscribe button might be.Verge
Are you guys excited about Apple Podcast’s in-app subscription? Let us know in the comment section underneath. Stay tuned to our page by subscribing to our newsletter down below, and don’t forget to join our telegram channel for regular news and updates.