WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging apps with a monstrous user base of 2 billion people from across the world and 400 million from India alone. Lately, the facebook-owned app has embraced numerous updates to keep its users captivated and meet their growing expectations.
WhatsApp Pay is one such in-chat payment feature that the California headquartered company has rolled out recently after receiving approval from National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). The feature was originally launched in February 2018 as a part of the trial run but remained stuck in beta mode for two years.
But now that this much-awaited feature has arrived, WhatsApp Pay will surely give tough competition to well-known online payment platforms like Google Pay, PhonePe and Paytm by offering seamless money transfer experience which is “as easy as sending a message”.
The free-of-cost payment feature allows users to make transactions via WhatsApp to their contacts in real-time. It relies on Unified Payments Interface (UPI) framework to facilitate money transfer. WhatsApp Pay currently supports 160 banks from all over the world and 5 leading banks from India, namely – ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, SBI Bank, Axis Bank, and Jio Payments Bank.
When will WhatsApp Pay become available to all the users?
The newly released WhatsApp Pay is currently in the testing phase. Therefore, NPCI has endorsed WhatsApp to roll out the feature update to its clients in a graded manner. Out of 400 million Indian WhatsApp users, NPCI has permitted to release the update for only 2 million folks as of now.
So do not worry if you don’t get access to the new WhatsApp Pay right off the bat. Although, the exact date as to when WhatsApp Pay will be available to all its users is still not clear, NPCI will soon dissipate information for a broader rollout of the enticing feature.
How to start using WhatsApp Pay?
To be able to use WhatsApp Pay, there are no fancy demands or complicated requirements that you need to fulfil. The prerequisites are quite simple, and they are listed below.
-Firstly, one needs to have an account in some bank that WhatsApp Pay supports.
-Secondly, the phone number linked with that bank account must be the same as your WhatsApp number.
-Thirdly, you need to have the latest version of WhatsApp on your phone. You can update your WhatsApp here.
How to make transactions via WhatsApp Pay?
To make transactions via WhatsApp Pay, you need first to add your bank account to WhatsApp.
How to add your bank account to WhatsApp?
To add your bank account to WhatsApp, follow the given steps:-
1) Open the WhatsApp app and tap on the three-dotted icon on the top right corner of your screen.
2) Click on the ‘Payments’ option and select ‘Add new account’.
4) From the list of banks that appear, choose the name of your bank.
5) WhatsApp will then verify your phone number, which is linked to your bank account. For successful verification, make sure your WhatsApp number is the same number that’s linked to your bank account. To authenticate your bank account, tap on ‘Verify via SMS’.
6) Allow WhatsApp to verify your phone number by tapping on ‘Allow’.
7) Hit ‘Allow’ again to let WhatsApp verify your bank account.
8) After the verification process is complete, WhatsApp will pull a list of your bank accounts. Select the one you like to finish setting up payments.
9) Click on ‘Done’ to finish adding your bank account. You should now see the payment page enlisting your payment method.
How to send and receive money via WhatsApp Pay?
1) Select the contact you wish to send money to.
2) In the chat window that appears, click on the clip-shaped ‘attachment’ icon.
3) Hit ‘Payment’ and select the amount of money you want to send. You can also add a note if you like.
4) Enter your UPI pin to finish sending the money.
5) Once the transaction is done, a confirmation message will pop up in the conversation window.
WhatsApp Pay not showing? Here’s what to do
If you don’t find the WhatsApp Pay feature despite updating the app, you can try a little smart trick to instigate setting up your WhatsApp payment account on. Here’s what you can do:-
-Find someone who has the WhatsApp payment feature enabled in the app.
-Request them to send you a “Payment notification” via WhatsApp. Payment notification can be sent by tapping on ‘attachment’ icon and selecting ‘Payment’.
-You will now receive a payment notification in your WhatsApp chat following which WhatsApp will invite you to set up your payment account.
-Click on “Set up” and set up your account in the way that was discussed above.
Another interesting thing that has come to our notice is that the feature gets available when you update your Facebook and Instagram in your smartphones besides updating WhatsApp.